Thursday, November 06, 2008

Fixing to - it's a Texas Thang

Life is fixing to get crazy, but that’s okay, it’s a good kind of crazy. We have our customer appreciation party tonight at work which is a very nice cocktail party. I’ve always enjoyed a good party – the meeting and greeting part and this has a long tradition that most people look forward to and it kicks off the holiday party season. So I say, bring it on.

Urban Market was last Sunday and the new location was a hit. Buyers swooped in early and by noon the crowd had thinned out quite a bit. I found several goodies: a tiny red footstool (for display), a beautiful gold hand mirror that I’m thinking of using as the base for an accordion album and a large wooden – well, all I can think of calling it was a spatula, but its like 15 x 25” with a handle. I love it. Oh and trims – lots of trims, five for a dollar, most of them about a foot. They will be great for projects. Ronda found a gym basket for $15 and Sandy Hoho found a nice round end table. Along with the popularity, pricing has gone up but I guess that is to be expected. Ronda has made me promise that I’ll go to Marburger in the spring… it starts March 31. It's so much fun to roam a market with scrapbook friends who love to junk and collaborate with great ideas.
I'm totally enjoying making Janet Hopkins junk binders. The real thrill is searching for books to use at resale shops and Half Price Books. I love the challenge of finding great titles, at cheap prices and made a great score yesterday. Its a book called The Expected One and has beautiful Madonna and angels on the cover and (get this) fleur de lis pattern on the inside. I don't even think I'm going to cover it with paper - just use gel medium. Just like any project, its best to run through it once and make all your mistakes... I sliced through too hard on my first book, but no worries, it had a crappy title! I've only started on the basics and haven't assembled the inside yet but found a few goodies at the office supply store to add. I'm going to use it for Ali Edward's Dec Daily album. I hope to get it put together on Sunday.
Why Sunday? Because Friday and Saturday I'll be at the Junkie taking Karen Russell classes including her famed 9 hour Photography class. Yippeee. I am sooo siked. Since I've gotten my Canon 30D I have only played with it so I'm looking forward to learning it inside and out. I will also have time to stop by By Design and Novel Approach while I'm on the south side. AND a day off of work, what's not to love! After reading the posts on All Things Tim Yahoo board, I'm looking forward to getting the Grungeboard tabbed album and Basic Grey's eclectic album. I'm thinking the dark chocolate will be yummy too.
I've been totally enjoying my Cuttlebug. I've never owned a die cut machine and used it so this is novel for me. I've been cutting felt circles like this for Christmas and I about flipped when Jeanne turned me on to Spellbinder's Nestabilities. OMW, and in scallops too. They're on sale 30% at HL this week. I also picked up Ali E's latest book this week (yes, I used a coupon) and one of my favorite ideas was a mini album about the books you read. Too cool. One day (somewhere in the far far future) I will make one of those...
A year ago I lost my sister to cancer and so its been grim the past few weeks. But I'm coming out of it and the creativity has been flying. But its a little bit like how I do my house organizing. I'm here there and everywhere and its never done in a straight line but rather from room to room. At the end it all gets done but in the middle its chaos. Organized chaos but still chaos.
Next week will be my first Silver Bella - I'm getting so excited to learn new things, meet new people and see Omaha and experience some cold weather (yes, we're paying Reliant for a/c right now). In the meantime, I need to get to that job that supports this passion. Oh and I almost forgot, I scored Carol Wingert's white album - I didn't make the same mistake twice and wait too long to order. It's beautiful! Can't wait to assemble it later this month.
Like I mentioned earlier, what I'm grateful for the most this week is getting some time either in person or on the phone to visit with scrapbook friends and sharing new projects, supplies or ideas. I don't take it for granted for a second. It is good to be back in the light.

1 comment:

Linda Jo said...

Peggy...I emailed you way back and never got a reply. Are you on that Continental flight to Omaha next Thursday morning around 10? There are 5 other Silver Bellas on that flight. Let me know.