Saturday, February 24, 2007

Little Japanese Doll Vase

It was a good week - finally getting warmer in Houston. I was getting tired of the cold and wind. I went to Crate & Barrel on Monday. That store just totally inspires me. Pottery Barn's catalogs inspire me but the actual C&B store does it for me. The colors and textures are great. Makes me feel alive and motivated. And I'm not a modern, contemporary decorator but they have plenty of other things to choose from. This chair really caught my eye. It has a nice little stripe- I would like the blue I think. But the price is $1200, which is alot. Its very comfy too. I really want to redo a room in the classic blue, yellow and white. It will probably be my living room. I love that look - Southern Living has done is several times. Yesterday, at Randalls I picked up the BHG Creative Home magazine which has a cute yellow mosaic table on the front. I've always liked BHG magazines, especially the decorating magazines whether its bedroom, bath. This one is about home decor projects - right up my alley. I would like to try some stenciling on a dresser. With spring on the horizon, it would be a good time. Back to the shopping trip - I did pick up a pretty rectangular basket at PB for my current craft magazines. I had a shelf that wasn't working - this way I can grab them quickly when I need a quick read while waiting in line. The older ones are in the mag holders on the shelf.
The BIG find this week was another Japanese doll vase at The Guild - this one is purple, which I don't have in my collection. Here is my original one. Now, these vases aren't expensive or fancy - just sentimental. A lady named Iris Gillespie gave it to me 30 years ago when I first started working at Alexander & Alexander. She was a sweet older lady at the end of her career, that was receptionist and I was 19 and just starting mine. About 2 years ago, I saw another one at an estate sale and decided to start collecting them. Since then we have looked all over Texas, including Trade Days in Canton and never see them. I've found 2 at The Guild (a resale shop in Montrose) and 1 other one at Trader's Village. I've searched ebay and never seen one. I think they are local but I should would like to find others or know some history about them. Wonder where I could post a pic and ask?

1 comment:

Gayle DeGregori said...

Peggy: I have two of these Japanese doll vases. Call me (713) 667-0743...I live in Houston near Rice Village. Gayle DeGregori